Monday, June 29, 2009

Chemo: the agony and the..."not so" ecstacy

I spent some quality time with TGL yesterday. He has finished the chemo and is laying low, both mentally and physically. We should have knocked on wood when we bragged about how he never got nauseous or threw up with the first round of chemo. Such is not the case with round II.

Things all started with a bang last Tuesday when he fainted in the bathroom at 2am and woke up with his "chemo caddy" on top of him. He had cuts and bruises that we are still finding as we massage him each day. Of course he was a trooper and didn't want to bother the nurses - you know because that isn't their job or anything.

Then Sunday morning he fainted again and was very nauseous. When I got to the hospital he had a STAR on his door - I thought it meant he had been awarded "best AML patient of the year" but he informed me it meant he was on "faint alert". Anytime he wanted/needed to go to the bathroom he had to call the nurse. Poor guy threw up twice, once while I was there. He came out of the bathroom and said to Dave and I "well that was fairly embarrassing". He called the nurse for cleanup on aisle Lewis and apologized profusely for the mess. Such a sweet and undemanding soul.

The family, as usual, is amazing in every way as each person, Sara while here, does all they can to help him. I'm not sure how I got such great siblings but I'll ride on their shirt tails any day. Rand has spent hundreds of dollars on equipment in order to somehow get HD access via laptop so that dad can watch the golf channel while there. Mom goes down each day and then Carrie comes and hands Brig off [no kids under 5 are allowed]. Mom walks with Brig around the relatively seedy neighborhood while Carrie goes up to be with Dad. Sara did the same with OZ when she was here and calls each day.

We all think of him constantly and feel your love.

10 comments:

sara said...

Thanks for the update Laura. The fainting and throwing up pains me to hear about. So sad. I hate it.

Sunshine said...

To the Lewis Clan: So glad you are doing this blog. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We love hearing the updates!-Darin and Lori

Natalee said...

We are thinking of you daily up here. Thanks for keeping us posted. -Natalee and Steve

Barb Roper said...

The blog is a great idea. We are thinking of you and hoping for the best.

dinie said...

Dear Lewis family, I am a distant friend out in Virgina! My daughter Mychael-Ann and Carrie are buddies from college and my family can relate to the breath-holding-as-you-wait-for-results that one of you have described! My husband Mike was diagnosed with AML in 12-07 and after treatment was in remission for one year when we got the dreaded, nasty, heart wrenching news that "it's back". His only hope was a transplnat, as you all are facing. I sent Kathleen an email recently hopefully providing a ray of hope. We just celebrated our one year anniversary from that transplant and Mike is healthy and happy and doing wonderfully. I hadn't told him about your news but he just walked in and asked who I was emailing and when I told him he just hung his head. It was quite telling.
What you are facing is very difficult, there's no way to sugarcoat it. BUT, here we are, standing on the other side. We are smiling in the success of modern medicine and we are sending you our love, lot's of optimism, tons of courage, and a reminder that the sweet peace that you need comes from living the gospel. How grateful I am for the love of our Heavenly Father. Take care of each other, Diana

Adam said...

Aargghh! So sorry to hear that it's back! We're thinking about you guys and love and miss you.
love,
Whit, Adam and all.

Janice said...

As he has been since this all started, he is in our prayers.

Amanda P said...

Hey family,
I am really glad you set up this blog. Our little Pope family is praying for you guys. Uncle Gordon is a sweet man which was shown to me especially last summer at Maren's wedding when he was there helping out until the sprinklers came on! :) A great man with a great family. We love you all.

papa said...

Sharon, the girls and I are all praying for you all and have you in our thoughts constantly. Gordon is a great man and if having lots of people praying for him means anything he will be in good hands.

Anonymous said...

Gordon is my hero. I am a volunteer with Tax_Aide and have witnessed Gordon giving and giving to others while he was fighting illness himself. My heart breaks to hear that he has to do battle again. Perhaps the wall of prayers and hopes will give him the needed strength to win yet another battle.
With hope and prayers,
Janet Axelrod