Saturday, August 15, 2009

From Gordon

15 August 2009

Dear Friends (written by Gordon)

As of Saturday I am feeling fairly well, no energy, but OK to tackle this note. We have been going to Denver 3 times per week (5 times last week) so it is great to have a day without doctors. They are a wonderful resource but each trip takes its toll.

On 8/11 I underwent many tests at the hospital in preparation for an end of August bone marrow transplant. All except one test came out great. Just yesterday we found that unfortunately a CAT scan showed a spot on my lung which is almost certainly a fungal infection. Tests are underway to identify the culprit so we can best treat it. Given my low white counts it is very unlikely that it can be cured right now so the goal is to either contain or shrink it. It must be treated for at least four weeks.

Because of the infection, the transplant has been postponed for 5-6 weeks. Given that there is still leukemia active in my marrow, we are planning on 5 days of outpatient chemo, hopefully in Boulder, to try and inhibit the leukemia while we fight the infection.

Obviously this is a major setback in the overall game plan. I will spare you the gruesome numbers but it will be a horse race to see if I can still qualify for a transplant. Infection must be controlled and leukemia cells must be within the limits.

My situation looks a bit tenuous but we are forging on. I am so grateful for my almost idyllic life. I am so blessed with friends, neighbors, business associates and a wonderful family. I can’t imagine how people without such support face such issues as now confronts us.

We appreciate your prayers, emails, cards, good thoughts and we will try and keep you posted on what is going on at least weekly.

I have asked Carrie to add something to the blog to explain how to make comments. Some have mentioned trouble in doing that.

12 comments:

Travis said...

Thanks for the update, Gordon. I'm thinking / praying for you and the rest of the family.

Anonymous said...

Gordon,

I check the blog most days. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Al and Patricia Mizrahi

Yah Yah said...

Only T "the" Gordon Lewis who is basically going through torture would describe his life as "idyllic". I am in constant awe of how dad is dealing with this horrible experience. As Tanner said "if grampa gets into heaven first then don't we all go too?"

Anonymous said...

Dear friends:

Devastating news for you and everyone else but you have come so far and are so close. Our prayers are with you.

Love,
Jean and Peter

Anonymous said...

Gordon,
There are many out here rooting for you. You are in our prayers.

Jim & Laura Ferenc

Amy said...

Gordon,

We are thinking about you a lot and you are always in our prayers. Your positive attitude and your family's love are inspiring.

Amy Barker

Amanda P said...

Uncle Gordon,
Thanks for the update. The Popes are praying for you in Chicago. We love you and your family.

Love,
Amanda, Mike, and baby Asher

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the setback. Nasty fungal infection! Hope you are getting to do some things you enjoy. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Barb and Ray Roper

Mike said...

Brother Lewis,

Thanks so much for the frequent updates. I'm sad to hear about the setback--this ordeal seems like it's even tougher than getting me to box out or follow my shot. Hang in there--we are all praying for you. Looking forward to the next bit of good news.

Take care,

Mike Maxfield

dinie said...

Dear Brother Lewis,
I'm thinking that your positive attitude, aka idyllic life, has, and will continue to take you into good health and meaningful experiences! Isn't that what we are all striving and hoping for in our lives? Thanks to you Gordon for showing us how to do it so well!
We are keeping you all in our prayers and are truly uplifted by your outlook.
Much love from the Dudley's

Anonymous said...

I AM VERY SORRY TO READ OF THIS SET BACK. YOU BOTH ARE IN OUR EVERY PRAYER. GOD BLESS YOU STEVE C

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration. I can handle my small set backs with more courage after hearing about your big ones. We are diligent in our prayers for you.

Hilma and David Bellessa