Monday, September 21, 2009

September 21, 2009 Update

I am past due on my promised update. That is because I keep waiting for something significant to occur that I could definitively report. Today is the day!

Last week I completed a second round of 5 days of chemo to suppress the leukemia. Not feeling so great today, kind of weak and shaky. I also have developed some skin rashes.

Since my last report we have completed two additional CT scans to monitor the infection in my lungs. The first, two weeks ago, seemed to show a slight worsening of the spots. The second, last Thursday, showed "improvement" (no one has quantified that for me) but I guess it doesn't matter as the doc said he was "pleased" with the progress..

Today we met with the transplant doc and we have a new plan. Transplant is scheduled for 10/15. I would enter the hospital on 10/9 and receive four days of preparatory chemo. I am really looking forward to that. This plan is contingent on passing some additional milestones.

The next CT scan of the lungs is 10/1 and the progress noted above must continue.

I will also have another bone marrow biopsy, probably on 9/28. I'm not so clear on what the "passing grade" here is to be. In addition I must have a spinal tap to look for leukemia in my central nervous system.

And, just to keep things interesting, I have noticed some skin rashes and itching the past few days and that needs to be evaluated by a dermatologist.

We continue to do well. Still need to walk more to build up my strength for the ordeal. Kathleen and I appreciate your thoughts, cards, prayers, and blog comments. You are a great support.

The final meeting with the transplant doctor is 10/5. We will try to update things shortly after that.

Gordon

13 comments:

Unknown said...

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!! This is what we are praying for!!!!!! Good luck with the upcoming events. We are pulling & praying for you.
Love you!
Claron and Jolene

Anonymous said...

Sounds like progress. Good luck and keep us posted. We're pulling for you!
Barb and Ray

Unknown said...

Gordon, Any movement forward is good. Hopefully it will keep going on an upward track. We are continuing to keep you inour prayers. God Bless!

Mary and Art

Art said...

Gordon, I think I blew the posting here the last time! I want to be sure you know that we are praying for you and we are encouraged that there is positive movement. Hpefully it will continue to move forward. God Bless!
Mary and Art

Anonymous said...

Gordon,
Glad to hear from you. We think of you often, and send our prayers for your full recovery on a daily basis.

Al and Patricia Mizrahi

Anonymous said...

Keep on "Hanging in there!" We do appreciate the update. I have been checking for an update since your last one of 8/29.
We continue to remember you in our daily prayers.
Love, Arlene & Don

di said...

thanks for the update! glad to hear of the progress. loves to you and sister lewis!
diane gerdy iman

Anonymous said...

Such good news to hear Gordon! we are glad you have a date for the transplant.
Hang on...we are all in this together.
Love, Brent and Betsy

Anonymous said...

Way to go Gordon - this sounds positive to me. Sorry the chemo is taking effect on you and the skin rashes (hopefully they will go away.) Praying that all will go well. Love to you and your family.

Jean and Peter

Anonymous said...

Great news Gordon - we check every few days and think about you all very day. Eager to hear more good news.
Lucy and Bruce

Bob said...

What an incredible ordeal! It takes a strong person and a strong family to go through what you are going through, and I admire you all very much. The signs of progress are encouraging; we pray they may continue, and that the pesky stuff will leave you alone in the meantime.

Bob

Howard and Karleen said...

We are writing from southern Chile. We finally located your blog and can track your progress.

As you know, we are serving a mission to the wonderful people here in Chile but think of you often
and pray for you daily.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your condition. Our thoughts and concerns are with you and your familyl

Love, Elder and Sister Hamilton

Unknown said...

I have been checking regularly for updates and was MOST pleased to see this news. I relayed it to the HP Group today as well. Norma Jean and I are pleased to be adding our prayers and faith to those of may others. Testing scheduled for this week appears critical. May the results be better than needed!