Monday, October 19, 2009

10-19-09 Update from Laura

Is it just me or does it seem ironic that a man who sits at the beach in a wind suit, hat, and tennis shoes, has spent his life slathered in SPF 60 sunscreen and gardens in a long-sleeved shirts and jeans is peeling worse than a teen who laid out with Crisco on tinfoil and got burned? They say a picture is worth a thousand words but in this case it is worth 1,000 layers of skin. The photos, though timely for the Halloween season, give some brevity to the week that TGL has endured. Dare I mention Job?

Generally, our experience with induction has been 5-7 days of chemo with the effects of fatigue, fever, mouth sores, etc. hitting 7-10 days later; but, such was not the case with the chemo drug dad received this go around. The docs warned that one of the side effects was "hand, foot syndrome"; however, since the drug affects everyone differently we hoped for the best.

After his first chemo session on Monday 10/5, he experienced nausea and a blood clot in his arm where the pick line was. They moved the line to the right arm and put him on blood thinner to treat the clot. From then things went downhill faster than Thomas the Tank engine without brakes on the Matterhorn. By Thursday 10/8 dad was carrying 25+ lbs of extra fluid and had a rash all over his body. If he tried to stand he lost his balance as his small frame was completely unfamiliar with the extra weight. His hands and feet were so swollen and red that he could barely eat - but being the model patient - he still tried.

Mom called Sunday morning and couldn't get a hold of him. Needless to say, she was upset and headed down to the hospital. She went to his room on the 4th floor and was informed he had been moved to ICU. Sunday - Wednesday dad experienced hallucinations and was disoriented. He doesn't remember anything from Monday afternoon to Wednesday. When I went to visit on Thursday he described a dream which in my opinion was his experience for those scary hours. At the end of the dream after unsuccessfully trying to reach mom and rand on their phones, Rand came and picked him up - THANKS RAND!

He didn't sleep more than an hour between Sunday night and Thursday 10/15 and they did not administer the final chemo in order to stabilize him. He has been on oxygen and has had multiple blood transfusions per day. The hallucinations are gone and now he is completely wiped out. Ordering Dinner seems like major task for him. They wrap his hands and feet 3 times a day and his entire body is peeling. He has huge blisters, [as shown in the picture] and still has a rash all over his legs. Basically, the chemo burned his body from the inside out - NICE!!!

They believe that the combination of the nausea, pain drugs, anti-biotics and chemo caused dad's hallucinations and lack of orientation. The doctor told Rand these types of side effects are “normal” but not at the level dad experienced. Dad has had 24 hour care in the room to keep him safe and the caregivers at the hospital have been very impressive, patient and loving. One of them even trained to be an Olympic speed skater - just a factoid gleaned from Yah Yah who probably peppers the nurses/techs too much with inquiries. We are SO very grateful for the care dad is receiving. Not all angels are in heaven!!!

12 comments:

MarrLin Angus said...

Dear Gordon and family,
We miss you so very much and
continue to keep you in our prayers daily. Stay strong and keep up the fight. So sorry it has been such a rough road for you. You are an example to us all of faith and perseverance. Wondering how you would feel about having a ward fast in your behalf? I have a strong testimony of the power of collective prayer and fasting. We love you and are pulling for you all the way. All our love, MarrLin and family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gordon and Kathleen,

Our hearts and prayers go out to you. I know you are leaving no stone unturned in trying to find a cure. I think MarrLyn's suggestion of a ward fast is an excellent one. Who better than you to fast for!! I'm hoping I'll be able to bring another pie up to you in not too long. Love Tom and Judy

Anonymous said...

Gordon,
We love you and our thoughts and prayers are very much with you and yours.

Bryn

Unknown said...

Someone should make using such pernicious chemicals illegal. This round appears the most trying yet. As C. S. Lewis so accurate explained, while I can "feel" your pain I cannot ease it or assume it. I can can and to acknowledge and admire your courage and tenacity in enduring it. May this assault be the successful one and bring the much needed miracle. I commend your family for their support and courage and faith.

Anonymous said...

So sorry that Gordon is having such a rough time. Ray's grandma had the peeling, painful hands and feet and I remember how miserable she was. Hope it goes away soon. Gordon sounds like a model patient even with all he's going through. (I'm not surprised knowing him!) Keep your chins up, we're all pulling for you.
Love, Little b (Barb)

marie schuzinger said...

Dear Gordon and family,
I am so sorry to hear how hard this
battle is. Know we all care immensely and are with you continuously in our thoughts and prayers. It is my prayer that you
feel constantly the support and love coming to you from all of us, your ward family. Gordon, you are an inspiring example of faith, strength and endurance. I only hope when I'm faced with a sore trial I will recall yours and handle it half as well as you are. And to your family--I watched my father suffer horribly. Anyone witnessing a loved one suffer comes face to face with the stark reality of being helpless to stop the suffering. The fact that I could not stop my dad from suffering--that was as excruciating to me as any pain I'd ever experienced. I learned much about Heavenly Father and the Atonement. Watching your loved one suffer, I believe, is the only way we can experience that vantage point--a glimpse of what He went through. My dad saw how difficult
watching his trial was for me. He told me that it was worth it for him to experience this intense
level of suffering because it blessed him with a deeper level of understanding for what our Savior voluntarily suffered for us. And my dad quickly added, "and no one will ever suffer as much as he was able to withstand." I came away that night marveling at the spiritual experience I had just
been privileged to share in alongside my dad. As hard as it was to go through this trial, for my dad, for us his family,in the end it blessed us immeasureably.
And that's what's so hard about going through a sore trial--it's hard to see the blessing in it at the time--but afterward,your spirit
feels an overwhelming richness, deepness and fullness and your understanding and heart are full.
It is truly transforming. I am who I am today, I am what I am today because of my dad suffered
yesterday.

I wish I could help sustain you.
I send you a heartfelt warm hug,
Marie Schulzinger

Anonymous said...

Gordon,
Your experience has made me think a lot about LOVE.
The great love you have for your family, to do everything(pleasant or not) you can to be with them as long as you can.
Then of Christ's love. Love for you and I, enough to suffer willingly, so we could come back into the Father's presence.
What an example you are of GREAT LOVE!
May God continue to strengthen you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gordon, Kathleen and family:

It breaks my heart to hear of Gordon's suffering and know you all are suffering right along with him. Chemotherapy is brutal and we can only hope and pray that it will do the job and help you to the next step in your treatment.
You are an amazing man and an example to all of us as to what endurance is all about. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. We love you.

Jean and Peter

liz said...

Hi Brother Lewis,

I left a comment the other day, but it didn't post :( I am sorry to hear you are having some icky side effects! I've got to tell you, Laura and Kathleen ROCK! They are amazing in Primary. The kids love them. We are blessed to have them. I wish you could have heard Laura and the children sing today in the Primary Program. As usual, Laura brought out the best in them. Kathleen is so diligent with her class - the LOVE her. The whole primary sends you their love and prayers. GET FEELING BETTER SOON!

Love,

Liz

Anonymous said...

Dear Gordon and Family,
You are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you and your family more than words can express.
((((hugs)))
Camille, Norm and family.

marie schulzinger said...

Gordon,
Your perseverance with this hard trial is amazing. But I'm not a very patient person when it comes to suffering so I'm starting my fast right now as well as with everyone on Sunday. I'm going to add mighty prayer and great faith throughout that you will feel relief and strength asap,like now. (You can tell what a miserable sufferer I make and you have to stop raising the bar for the rest of us!)
We're with you.
marie schulzinger

Gabriela said...

From the comments it appears you'll be having a ward fast on Sunday. I'd love to join you all. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Love,
Jacquie Bianchi Waldrip